Wednesday, October 3, 2012

13 Things That Don't Make Sense: Review











Rating: 4.25 out of 5

Author: Michael Brooks







This book is one of those which compels one to think and encourages one to learn more, to educate oneself. Being a nerd/geek that I am, the whole concept of these amazing yet baffling mysteries science faces today, attracted me and I wanted to read this as fast as possible. I practically lived with this book while I was reading it.

The book packs 13 phenomenon that we all see, all observe, all experience but no one can really give a satisfactory explanation as to why these phenomenon occur. All thirteen of them are sewn together in a series with one leading to the other.I really appreciate the author's writing skills as not most non-fiction books are such well written.

Also, the author writer in a very unbiased manner and includes both the pros and cons of the subject. Some of the topics such as how the constants may not really be constant really got me thinking about rigid and close minded we can be to change and how going against a scientific celebrity like Newton or Einstein could practically ruin one's career. It is sad. I find it a paradox that how in science we are searching for new and still our biases don't want to see new.

The book is thoroughly  researched and  make for an excellent read. It does not answer question and neither does it favors any one, which I think is the best part about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment