Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Dear Mom


Godrej has been one brand which one can always find in our household. Their products are not only safe but give amazing results. So on the occasion of Mother's Day Godrej asked us to elaborate on why one's best adviser is always their mother.

My mother has always been my first expert for anything and everything. From choosing a dress to choosing a career she has always been one true guide and I cannot thank her enough for being there always.

When I passed my 12th exams, I was looking for engineering courses. My entrance exam results were decent enough and I wanted to take Mechanical Engineering. This was no lightly taken decision and I spent two years on this decision. But being a girl, everyone I knew was shocked when I told them about my decision. Most tried to persuade me to take "safe" branches like computers or IT. Many said that Mechanical is not for girls. Everyone, from my father to the stranger I met at one counselling session in a college, were hell bent to make me change my decision. But I could not imagine myself in any other branch. Mechanical was and is my calling. I had spent my childhood plying with Mechanic toys, rockets and cars. However, after such a response, I was second guessing my decision. I felt sad and seeing this mother gave me the best advice I ever got. She told me that if this is what you really and absolutely want then do it. Mute out everyone else and follow your heart. She even convinced my father and supported me till the end. Last week I graduated with an 8.9 GPA and it is all thanks to my mom. Had she not supported me and encouraged me to follow my heart, I probably would have changed to Computers or IT and detested it all along.

Another, incident where my mom's advice helped me a lot was when I in 5th grade. There was a boy in my class who was very famous for being notorious. Teacher opted out of teaching our class just because of him. Due to all this, he didn't have many friends in school and I saw him eating lunch all by himself. When I informed my mother about this she told me join him wherever I see him eating lunch alone from now on. I was hesitant at first but she insisted that I do as asked. So next day me and my group of about five girls were eating lunch in the school ground and I saw him eating lunch behind a tree. I asked my friends to invite him but no one wanted to. After a lot of convincing they decided that he could eat with us but I had to invite him. Hence, I went, a little terrified, over to invite him. At first he thought I was playing a prank but my reputation was not of a prankster so he eventually agreed. He came over and had lunch with us. Turns out he was quite funny. He told great jokes and over time we became good friends. I am in touch with him even today. 

So, had my mother not encouraged me to be friends with this person, I would have never got to know him. I would have missed up on a friend.

These are just two of the many instances where my mother’s advice has helped me find my way. Without her I would be completely lost in this world. And I love you mom from the bottom of my heart. Happy Mother’s Day!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment