Premium Economy Class. For many international flyers, traveling in economy for 18 hours or 20 hours is a total nightmare. From the non-existent legroom to the "use-your fellow-passenger's arms" as armrest, it is a guarantee ticket to hell. However, many cannot afford the business class either. Lufthansa realized this and came up with the Premium Economy Class. In the Premium Economy Class there is not just ample legroom but features like better seats, more entertainment options, better armrests and much much more at the price which is almost as much as economy. Totally Paisa Vasool !
Lufthansa, inspired by the Premium Economy Class, asked us to write about the Paisa Vasool concept which is arguably an Indian invention. Paisa Vasool is a mindset which is present in every Indian. Whether it is the next door auntie haranguing the Sabjiwala for free dhanya or the pretty belles employing their charms to get extra chocolate on their fudge, we all use it to get that extra bang for the buck. So here I enlist some of the Total Paisa Vasool Habits of my fellow countrymen.
1) Sukhi Puri and extra paani with Golgappas: Golgappas are an all time favorite snack all over India. And I am sure everyone does this. After finishing one plate which has about five pieces of Golgappas people usually ask for extra pani and a sukhi puri. So one paid for five but got six effectively. That is Paisa Vasool!
2) Dhaniya Mirchi toh Dallo Bhaiya!!! If you have ever witnessed any auntie/ woman buying veggies from a "Sabjiwala"/ Vegetable vendor you must have heard her say "Dhaniya Mirchi toh daalo Bhaiya!!" This is one expression that defines the concept of Paisa Vasool because people feel they are entitled to that extra(read free) dhaniya and mirchi because they bought the rest of the vegetables.
3) Charging on the Go: Whether it the metro or the railways or flights, one can always find people searching for charging points. Many do not charge their electronic devices because train mai toh free hai naa!!
4) In-house Recycling of Clothes: We do not send our old clothes to recycling centers. Oh no Sir!! When a clothing item does not fit one member of the family it is generally passed onto a younger or slimmer member of the family. After it can no longer fit anyone, it is either sold to the "bartanwali" in exchange of new utensils or used in dusting/cleaning the house. Hence, our clothes have a longer lifeline than even the manufacturer intended.
5) Plastic is Gold: From preserving takeout cartons to collecting extra poly bags, from saving all sorts of plastic boxes to reusing Cola bottles as water bottles, we Indians are addicted to plastic. We hoard it, we use it, we love it. We don't crush plastic and throw it out after its intended use, rather we invent new ways to use that item which even the manufacturer might not have thought of. A great example is the boat made of plastic bottles. Doesn't get more Paisa Vasool than this!!!
|Boat of Plastic Bottles.|
7) Indian Jugaad: Why waste money on a 6 to 8 seating SUV when a tractor will do the trick. Why book three tempo when we can overload one! Why buy a trailer when we can hook a the load to a bike! these are some ingenious inventions of the Indian Jugaad.
It is not that we are misers or extremely thrifty but we know how to extract the maximum use of every object.
Hence I present the Paisa Vasool India. And I think the Paisa Vasool India will love the Lufthansa Premium Economy
class because not only is it affordable but it also offers the following Paisa Vasool features:
- 50% more space than traditional economy
- Welcome Drinks
- Travelling accessories like ear plugs, sleep mask etc.
- Larger Entertainment screens with remote
- Bigger and separate armrests with fold-able trays inside.
- Water Bottles for all
- Etra Storage space
Tweet #LufthansaPremiumEconomy and find out more!!!